In honor of today, International Women’s Day, we’ve compiled a list of 5 women who rock. So, what does it mean to be a woman who rocks? We chose from a group of well-known celebrities who are using their platform to make a difference in the world. Women have made great strides in the world, proving over and over again that we are strong and unique, and capable of, well, everything. In a moment in time that often seems overwhelmed with struggles, let’s take a few minutes to honor some lovely ladies who matter. And, while you peruse our list, don’t forget to honor yourself, too. If you are a woman, you rock, and this is your day!
1. Amy Poehler. An extremely talented, extremely funny woman who has worked her way up the ranks of Hollywood, Amy Poehler is one of our favorite ladies. As the witty, determined Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation, Amy makes smart sexy. Poehler has also been reappearing on her alma mater, Saturday Night Live, quite a bit in the past few years, proving that she can still make us laugh just as hard as she did 5 years ago. And on her website, Smart Girls at the Party, Amy Poehler is celebrating women all over the world who are making a difference in their communities.
2. Arianna Huffington. Because I am a nerd, I have chosen to include one of the most famous journalists and writers of our time (woman or man), the creator of the Huffington Post, Arianna Huffington. If you’re unfamiliar with HuffPost, it is most definitely worth your time to become acquainted. They have a fantastic Women’s section that is updated multiple times a day with important stories, videos, and news that relates to the lovely ladies of the world. In addition to being HuffPost’s creator, Huffington has written 14 books, the most recent of which is Thrive: The Third Metric, an acclaimed book about redefining success in life and the workplace. Through her books and website, Arianna Huffington is helping women everywhere reach their full potential and make a difference around them.
3. Bell Hooks. Bell Hooks is, and always will be, one of the most important people in women’s history. She is a feminist, an activist, and a writer who has made countless strides for women since she began her career of activism in college. Her most famous work, Ain’t I A Woman, examines feminism in depth as it pertains to women of minority races. At 61, Hooks still makes public appearances, speaking and campaigning for women’s rights. It is absolutely no understatement to say that Bell Hooks is someone to respect and admire, and I hope that, whether you’ve heard of her or not, you look into what makes her such a special lady.
4. Mindy Kaling. I love Mindy Kaling, okay? She is just wonderful. If you don’t already know, Kaling is the writer, creator, and star of FOX’s The Mindy Project, on which she examines the nuances of life as a woman. Before getting her own show, Kaling starred as Kelly on The Office, and she recently published a hilarious book called Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)? I love Mindy Kaling because she is intelligent, witty, funny, gorgeous, and genuine. She seems to be one of the nicest celebrities in Hollywood and her Twitter account is hilarious. I think that the importance of women in the media cannot be overstated, as they are given the platform and resources to prove that women can be and already are as smart and hilarious as men, and that they should be given ample opportunity to do so.
5. YOU. I know, I know, so cliche. But I had to say it. You are a woman who deserves to be celebrated and honored (that is, if you are, in fact, a woman…and if you aren’t you STILL deserve it), so do just that. Take today, International Women’s Day, and use it to love yourself. Notice the things that you do for those around you and how many people love you for you. And, even once this most glorious holiday has ended, still take some time to honor yourself each and everyday! You deserve it!
So, that’s our list. The ladies who are on it are spectacular and we appreciate them for the grace and goodness that they bring to the public eye. If you don’t see your favorite female on the list, tweet us or comment on our Facebook page, we’d love to hear from you! And hop on over to our website to see what’s shakin’. Alpaca wear is always in when it’s time to celebrate the lovely women in your life. Happy International Women’s Day!